Brief Summary: The purpose of this study is to determine the effects of Niagen (nicotinamide riboside, vitamin B3), on NAD levels, brain function including cognition and blood flow in people diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
Detailed Description: Niagen is a patented formula which is the first and only commercially available form of Nicotinamide Riboside (NR). It has been proven in basic science studies as a highly effective NAD booster, but it also works as a vitamin B3 supplement.[BECAUSE IT IS VITAMIN B-3] NAD helps pass energy from glucose to other pathways in the cell. Niagen (Nicotinamide Riboside, vitamin B3) is one of the most effective NAD+ precursors to support cellular health.
The purpose of this study is to determine the effects of Niagen (nicotinamide riboside, vitamin B3), on NAD levels, brain function including cognition and blood flow in people diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
|Ages Eligible for Study:||65 Years and older (Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
- Previously diagnosed with MCI based on inclusion criteria of Texas Alzheimer’s Research Care and Consortium (TARCC) study (IRB: HSC20090535H). We are enrolling both genders, all races and ethnic groups.
- Two week washout period for participants who were taking opioids or a dose of niacin over 200mg.
- Previously considered as healthy individuals without a MCI or Alzheimer’s disease diagnosis based on exclusion criteria of the TARCC study (IRB: HSC20090535H).
- Neurological, psychiatric or active systemic medical disease
- Moderate or severe depression and/or anxiety as determined the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) and the Geriatric Anxiety Scale (GAS), respectively
- Diagnosis of dementia
- Hearing, vision, motor or language deficits
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Implantation of metal devices
- Administration of Alzheimer’s drugs, anticholinergics, neuroleptics, anticonvulsants, opiates, systemic steroids, and mood-stabilizers.
- No opioid use while participating in study